Dehradun is the capital city of Uttarakhand and is considered the most populous city of the god’s land. Dehradun is located in the Doon Valley in the foothills of the Himalayas and sits between the Song River, a tributary of Ganga, and the Asan River, a tributary of Yamuna on the west. Dehradun City offers many scenic delights. During the British period, the city was known as Dehra and was home to many elite institutions including Doon School, Forest Research Institute, and Welham Schools. The city offers some of the best places to visit in Dehradun during your holidays and you can find comfortable stays in various hotels offering scenic mountain views.
Top 10 Places to Visit in Dehradun: Admiring the Rich Culture of the Capital
The weather conditions of Dehradun are humid and subtropical and the city has been home to various historic artists and writers including Allan Sealy, Ruskin Bond, Stephen Alter, and Nayantara Sahgal. The city offers various tourist places including Dehradun Zoo, Himalayan Gallery, Kalanga Monument, Chandrabani, Forest Research Institute, etc. which can keep you and your loved ones entertained. You can find amazing places related to nature, sports, sanctuaries, historic museums, and institutions. So keep on following the information below to find out the top tourist attractions in Dehradun to enjoy with your dear ones.
- Forest Research Institute: Be Ready for an Educational Trip
- Robber’s Cave: Tempting Suspense of the Cave
- Tibetan Buddhist Temple: Admiring the Spirit of Buddhism
- Tapovan: Meditating in Nature’s Lap
- Dehradun Zoo: Play Time in Malsi Deer Park
- Tapkeshwar Temple: Visiting the Holiness
- Lachhiwala: Planning a Fun-Filled Day
- Tiger Falls: Escaping to the Serenity of Nature
- Sahastradhara: Taking a Dip in Rejuvenating Pool
- Shree Prakasheshwar Mahadev Mandir: Meeting the Almighty
1. Forest Research Institute: Be Ready for an Educational Trip
If you are into every aspect of forestry then this is the right place for you. The research institution offers an educational trip to the field of forestry research. The institute was established in 1906 and its architecture showcases the Colonial and Greco-Roman styles. Located with the serene backdrop of Doon Valley, makes it is very popular among tourists. The mesmerizing views of the campus also attract Bollywood as you can find many popular films that were filmed on this campus making it one of the Dehradun must-visit places.
- Location: Chakrata Road, New Forest, P.O, Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248006
- Opening Hours: 9 am to 5:30 pm (Closed on Saturday and Sunday)
- Nearby airport: Jolly Grant Airport
- Nearest railway station: Dehradun Railway Station
- Things To Do: Take guided tours
2. Robber’s Cave: Tempting Suspense of the Cave
As the name suggests the cave was treated as a hideout by robbers during the British era and it is also known as Guchu Pani. The cave is 600m long with small waterfalls and a river flowing inside the cave. The cave is situated 8 km from Dehradun. The unique specialty of the river is that it flows out from the middle of the cave and it is believed that the cave is the home of Lord Shiva. Mother nature plays its role very well in slowing you down and admiring its beauty making it one of the peaceful places in Dehradun.
- Location: 93G5+5W6, Anarwala Rd, Garhi Cantt, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248014
- Opening hours: 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Best Times: April - October
- Things To Do: Trekking, Picnic
- How to reach: The cave is located 8 Km from Dehradun city and can be reached via bus or taxi to Vijaypur and then a trek of 1 km.
3. Tibetan Buddhist Temple: Admiring the Spirit of Buddhism
The Holy place is always flocked with tourists famous for its extravagant structure of Buddha. It is a holy school for the Tibetan religion and also the most visited place in Dehradun. The temple is visited by many national and international Buddhist followers to admire the beauty and feel the essence of the place. The temple's height is 220 ft and has five floors. You can also admire the Buddha and Guru Padmasambhava. On the first three floors, you can find mesmerizing ornate paintings that can leave you stunned, which is an effort of 50 artists who have given their three years to complete the task.
- Location: 3, Buddha Temple Road, New Basti, Clement Town, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248002
- How to reach: Dehradun is only 5 kilometers away from Clement Town in Dehradun where the Monastery is.
- Opening hours:10 am to 5 pm
- Things To Do: Photographing, paying respect
4. Tapovan: Meditating in Nature’s Lap
Tapovan is made by merging two words which are “Tapas” which means atonement or putting your sins to death and “Vana” which implies Forest so the meaning of Tapovan is “forest of austerities or spiritual practice”. You can enjoy the green surroundings of Tapovan and the Ganga River flowing through it. You can meditate in the spiritual surrounding and strengthen your spiritual bond with the Almighty. The folklore suggests that Guru Dronacharya served his atonement in the Tapovan temple. Travelers can trek to the temple and get merged with the holy chants and sound of bells. This place is ideal for those who come to the mountain for inner peace.
- Location: Raipur, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, 248008, India
- Best Times: March-August.
- How to reach: The temple lies within the Garhi Cantonment area towards the Nalapani area near Raipur, which is around 5 kilometers from the Clock Tower and is considered the city center of Dehradun.
- Opening hours: 6:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Things To Do: Sightseeing, Appreciating the serene beauty of Ganga, paying a visit to the temple
5. Dehradun Zoo: Play Time in Malsi Deer Park
Among the other best places to visit in Dehradun, the Malsi Deer Park is a popular choice among tourists after the Rajaji national park in Dehradun. If you are a wildlife lover then it is an idyllic place to encounter the cute and fluffy herds of spotted deer. This place is a favorite place for family picnics and outings with friends. You can also spot various species of wild birds in the Malsi Deer Park.
- Location: Zoo, Malsi Deer Park, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248009
- How to reach: Dehradun Zoo on Dehradun-Mussoorie road is located about 10 km away from the city center.
- Opening Hours: 10 am to 6 pm
- Best Times: You can visit the park from 10 am to 6 pm and the park is closed for public visits on Mondays and public holidays.
- Things To Do: Picnicking, Photographing, Exploring
6. Tapkeshwar Temple: Visiting the Holiness
The temple is famous among the devotees of the God of destruction, Lord Shiva which is nestled on the bank of the seasonal Asan river, Dehradun. The temple consists of the oldest shiv ling in the cave. The temple's name originated from continuous water droplets dropping on Shivling. As the ancient story suggests the cave was once resided by the Guru of Pandavas and Kauravas and the cave was named after him as Drona Cave. Thousands of devotees pay their respect to Lord Shiva by visiting the temple and witnessing the water droplets dropping on Shivling. You can also visit the fair held around the Tapkeshwar temple making it an ideal place to see Dehradun in one day.
- Location: 9248+WM3, Tapkeshwar Colony, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001
- How to reach: The temple is located 6.5 Km away from Dehradun city on Tapkeshwar road.
- Opening Hours: 4 am–10:30 pm
- Things To Do: paying respect and explore the surroundings of the temple
7. Lachhiwala: Planning a Fun Filled day
It is a popular picnic spot which is now known as Nature Park which is very popular among families and youngsters. The spot is located 22 km away from Dehradun city at Haridwar- Rishikesh road. The place is also popular among trekkers and birdwatchers. The place can be visited all year round and both elders and children can enjoy the man-made water pool bath in which the water is collected from the Suswa River. The place provides a calm and loving environment to the visitors making it the best place to visit in Dehradun.
- Location: Lachhiwala Range, Lachhiwala, Dehradun - 248140
- Opening hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- How to reach: The location is located 22 Km away from Dehradun city on the Haridwar-Rishikesh road.
- Things To Do: Waterpool bath, Photographing, Trekking.
8. Tiger Falls- Escaping to the Serenity of Nature
Escaping away from the hustle and bustle of the city to the quiet of Tiger Falls, which is a waterfall located between the hilly terrain near Chakrata. The magnificent waterfall is untouched by tourism and commercialism making it a popular trekking spot among beginners and a remote picnic spot for group travelers. Tourists can enjoy the fun rejuvenating bath below the 50 meters waterfall and the falling water makes a small pond. Nestled between the dense forest the gushing sound of water echoes in the forest.
- Location: Kanaser Range, Chakrata, Uttarakhand 248123
- Opening hours: 8 am–7 pm
- Best time to visit: March to November
- Things To Do: Trekking, camping, sightseeing
9. Sahastradhara: Taking a Dip in Rejuvenating Pool
The literal meaning of Sahastradhara is “Thousand fold spring” which is a widely known tourist spot in Dehradun. It is located at the Baldi River, which is 14 km away from Dehradun city. The place is always flocked by travelers who like to admire the natural waterfalls and caves. The place is known for its medicinal values and therapeutic merits and has a collection of pools. Sahastradhara also has ropeways for thrill lovers providing an airy ride to the mountain top and from there the panoramic view of Sahastradhara can be enjoyed. You can also enjoy the waterpark named “Joyland water park” in Sahastradhara.
- Location: Sahastradhara, Timilimansingh, Uttarakhand
- Things To Do: Sightseeing, healing by soaking in spring water
- Best time to visit: is 11:00 AM to 03:00
- How to reach: Sahastradhara is found just 14 km from Dehradun city at Sahastradhara Road.
10. Shree Prakasheshwar Mahadev Mandir: Meeting the Almighty
Always flocked by the devotees of Lord Shiva, Shree Prakasheshwar Mahadev Mandir is one of the popular destinations of worship. The major attraction of this huge temple is the Shivling which is made up of sphatik or crystal. After offering your prayers you can also enjoy the free delicious food offered in Bhandara, every day. The temple is nestled between the verdant valley of Dehradun, and the spiritual vibe of this temple is beyond comparison. Also one of the interesting facts is that the temple does not take any donations and does its work with goodwill.
- Location: Mussoorie Rd, Salan Gaon, Bhagwant Pur, Khala Gaon, Uttarakhand 248009
- Opening Hours: 9 am–9 pm
- The best thing to do: Worshipping, Having delicious food, sightseeing
Dehradun is one of the most visited places to travel in India as the place offers a lot of interesting locations to explore with your loved ones. The Doon Valley has a fascinating history and intriguing mythology, the city is surrounded by high mountains and Sal forests. The place is especially popular due to its pleasant weather throughout the year and its scenic surroundings. Many majestic locations can be explored near and in Dehradun. Tourists can participate in adventure activities including trekking, Hiking, and Mountain bike riding and themselves filled with an adrenaline rush. To experience the never before holiday, it is advised to avail of the Dehradun tour packages.
Angora and Pashmina shawls, Aipan, Wooden Crafts, Spices and Pickles, etc are some famous products to take from Dehradun.
Forest Research Institute, Robber’s Cave, Lachhiwala, Tibetan Buddhist Temple, Tapovan, Dehradun Zoo, Tapkeshwar Temple, etc are some of the popular places to explore in Dehradun.
The ideal time to visit Dehradun is March to June because during this time most people flock to Dehradun since the weather is pleasant and clear and is best to enjoy the sights and indulge in adventure activities.
If you want to explore the major attraction of the Doon Valley of Uttarakhand then 6-8 days are enough for a holiday.
Trekking, hiking, sightseeing, photography, bathing in hot springs, and paying a visit to holy places are some of the things that can be enjoy.
Bun Tikka, Momos, Chowmein, Paneer Samosas, etc are some of the famous dishes to try in Dehradun.
The place is known for its medicinal values and therapeutic merits and has a collection of pools.
The temple is visited by many national and international Buddhist followers to admire the beauty and feel the essence of the place. The temple's height is 220 ft and has five floors. You can also admire the Buddha and Guru Padmasambhava.