Lying along the Gulf of Oman, Fujairah is one of the seven emirates of the UAE. Separated from the rest of the United Arab Emirates
by Hajar Mountain, the city is an emerging modern and industrial town. Fujairah oozes people with its natural beauty and offers an astounding view of the beautiful landscape and simple lifestyle. The city has various beaches that attract several visitors to the city. It is the ideal place to enjoy sunbathing, scuba diving, swimming, and fishing. Maybe it is not the prettiest place but you can have some calm time here with your family away from the bustling life.
Best Time to Fly
The best time to book the cheapest airfares to Fujariah is between October to March. It is the time when the weather is pleasant and calm.
Top 5 Attractions of Fujairah
- Al-Bidyah Mosque: It is one of the oldest mosques in the United Arab Emirates. Also known as Ottoman Mosque, it is situated in the northern part of the Emirate of Fujairah, United Arab Emirates. It is a fully stone build structure consist of a prayer hall that is decorated with arches. It also features a mihrab and ventilation openings. There is a central pillar that divides the inner space of the mosque into four square of the homogenous extent which is covered by domed ceilings.
- Fujairah Fort: Although it is a fort, still many people consider it as Castle. Fujairah Fort is quite different from all other forts lies in the United Arab Emirates. Built between 1500-1550, it has one square and three round towers. Popular as the oldest fort in the United Arab Emirates, it was serving as a home for the ruling family and a defensive building. After restoration, the fort became the part of a Heritage Village which is set up by the Fujairahs Department of Archaeology and Heritage. This old fort exhibits the traditional life of the people of Emirates and also displays the unique Al Yazrah irrigation system used by the farmers of Emirates.
- Hajar Mountains Wadis: Located in northern Oman, Al Hajar Mountain chain separates the western coast of the United Arab Emirates from Fujairah. It is the best base for the perfect exploration of the arid and rocky terrain. Hajar Mountain is popular for its wadis and wadi-bashing. People from different parts of the world. The most beautiful wadis in here are Wadi Maidaq, Wadi Saham, and Wadi Siji. The longest valley is the Wadi Ham and Wadi Al Taiwan is the place where people enjoy the adventurous mountain route. To preserve the sensitivity and uniqueness of the ecology, the public authorities of the United Arab Emirates has been closed the most famous wadi of North Fujairah, Wadi al-Wurayah.
- Fujairah Museum: Opened in November 1991, Fujairah Museum displays an amazing collection of artifacts from the early Bronze Age, excavated during archeological digs at Bithnah and Qidfa. The exhibits in the museum include Iron and Bronze Age weaponry, carved soapstone vessels, pre-Islamic silver coins, and painted pottery. One of the most popular and prized pieces of the museum is a bowl made from Ostrich egg which was discovered around 2,200 years back at Qifda. The museum also has an ethnography section that displays the traditional Emirati craftwork and daily life.
- Masafi: Situated on the edge of the Hajar Mountains, the village of Masafi is popular for the Gulfs of the leading mineral water production and its natural springs. In old times it was used as a trading post and refueling stop for the vehicles. The village is divided into two parts the smaller one belongs to the Emirate of Fujairah and the larger portion belongs to the Emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. The local market here is a very excellent place to bargain for earthenware products, carpets, antiques, and local handicrafts.
Best Outdoor Activities
- Diving: Plan your next excursion to Fujairah and explore the beautiful sea world. The coral reefs here attracts the visitors more marine life. You can witness barracuda, coral reefs, parrotfish, moray eels, blacktip sharks and few other marine animals here. Some other water sports here include snorkeling, scuba diving, wreck diving, night diving, and free diving.
- Fishing: Located in the Gulf of Oman, Fujairah is the best place to enjoy fishing. You can try trolling or bottom fishing, depending on the type of fish you hope to catch.
- Water sports: You can rent a deepsea fishing boat, jet skis, and diving equipment, to enjoy diving, fishing and jet skiing in the Gulf of Oman.
Shopping and Nightlife
Fujairah has plenty of clubs, pubs, bars, and resorts. Some of the resorts in the city offer live entertainment. It also hosts some special music performances and belly dancing. All the five-star hotels in the city organize special themed nights too for the visitors. Several bars and pubs in the city organize Ladies nights to attract travelers. Fujairah has various tour operators offering night cruises along the coast.
Fujairah has some of the excellent shopping places. From modern malls to traditional markets, the city has it all. It has an abundance of traditional souks from where you can buy any traditional item you want.
The most sophisticated and modern market in the city is the City Centre Fujairah shopping mall. It houses more than 100 different shops where you can find anything from international fashion, lifestyle products, homeware and more.
How to Reach
Fujairah International Airport is the main airport in the city that caters to all the low-cost airlines to and from Fujairah. The airport can handle approximately two million passengers annually. Currently, the airport is undergoing a major upgrade and expansion to cater to passenger traffic growth and provide improved facilities.
How to Get Around
Fujairah has a variety of options when it comes to traveling around the city.
Car renting or hiring a motorcycle is the best option to get around the city. It is easy to rent a car form an international car hire office. While driving through the city, be aware and safe, as locals are very aggressive for fast drivers.
There is no regular bus service in Fujairah, so it worthless to expect a convenient bus service or any bus stop in the city.